Monday, January 18, 2010

Injury Report

As of Saturday, my goal for Tuesday was an easy run. As of now, Monday, my goal for Tuesday is to be able to put on a shoe.

Things took a turn for the worse with the metarsal bursitis yesterday. After acknowledging on Friday night that running on the inflamed bursa sac made it even more inflamed, I committed to some days off and spent them, mainly, with my foot in a bucket of ice water. The pain, or stinging, seemed to die down during the day and flare up at night, and that was pretty much the case yesterday -- except it flared up to the point last night where I was popping Aleve like candy to no avail.

This morning, Emily took another look at the area and found a nice fresh cut. Perfect: an infection, too.

I saw the doctor again today. He removed some dead skin and gave me prescriptions for a better ibuprofen, antibiotics and ointment to apply twice daily after soaking my foot in warm water with Epsom salts.

Bummer. Walking right now is a challenge.

The good side is I feel like I now have this situation under control, and it should only improve after tonight.

4 comments:

Joe Wiggy said...

I am sorry to hear about this setback. From the sounds of it, you have done everything right to get back on your feet soon and move forward. Take it easy and listen to your body.

PR said...

Yikes, this is certainly a bummer, but it sounds like you've at least figured out what's wrong and how to fix it. Heal up soon!

KLIM said...

Hang in there. You'll be fine once you're injury free.

Better to get this now than in March, April etc

DM said...

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the comments. I seem to have the bursitis under control; now if I could just tame the infection and get my foot to a normal size. This is certainly nothing catastrophic if I can get back to easy jogging by week's end.