Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Unfortunate Development - Developing

At this point, I can say that the situation is better than it was on Monday, when I was not able to run a step. As Joe McVeigh, part of my brain trust, put it: "a one-step relapse is, uh, not good."

Exactly.

Yesterday, I did not try to run in the morning and, after work, went to see Sarah Buckheit again. She was more aggressive this time in stretching out my hip flexor and working a lot with my feet, where we are beginning to believe the root of this bio-mechanical mishap can be located.

She stretched me out, I jogged around the parking lot ... we repeated this perhaps four or five times. So, I was able to run, but I could certainly feel tension in my hamstring.

This morning, I was able to run for 30 minutes. Here is how I described it to SB.

I was able to get through 30 minutes and I suppose I could have kept going, meaning I don't think the pain was increasing; it had stabilized. I did feel discomfort in my hamstring every step of the way. The first 10 minutes were the worst, and then, like I said, it kind of tapered off a bit. I ran on relatively flat terrain and slight changes -- uphill, downill -- did not have any effect. Generally, the quicker I ran the better, and there may have been small segments of time where I was able to transcend the discomfort slightly by being mentally elsewhere. At the same time, I can't get sloppy with my footstrikes because it seemed like when that happened I'd feel the nerve get pinched. Turns, as well, were not particularly pleasant. I'm icing now. What do you think?

So ... the next step. I will stretch throughout the day and, if I am feeling OK, I will go to BCC tonight for the scheduled dress rehearsal. My workout, however, will not be the same as it will be for my teammates.

I will stretch, run a couple laps easy and attempt about a mile at MP pace. After that, I'll see SB again. After that, I don't know ...

No comments: