Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Training July 26-Aug. 1

Monday - 16 (4,12) ... In the evening I stuffed my credit card in my pocket and picked up a badly needed pair of shoes (Brooks Glycerin, since about 2004) mid-run at GRC. Way more efficient than driving there. I even got to recycle my past-dead shoes!
Tuesday - 16 (6,10) ... Felt good in the afternoon. Just throwing this out there: Eating a high-quality carb -- in this case, half a whole grain bagel -- about an hour before training (as I was walking out of work) really helps. I ate a power bar perhaps an hour before that -- so what I guess I'm saying is that getting that double dose of good carbs in the hours leading up to training is very beneficial. This is something I always do before hard workouts, but not necessarily the easier/recovery days -- and it is way harder to execute when training early before work.

At the same time, it can bite you by knocking your blood sugar out of whack (at least, I think that's what happens) and giving you that lightheaded dizzy feeling (which is particularly the case if I try to eat when I wake up an hour before training in the morning). For what it's worth, I also a drink a cup of coffee -- usually while driving home from work -- before my afternoon session. And before my morning session. And before ANY time I run. Not really sure why I just put this out there -- most of it is pretty basic -- but I'll leave it.

Wednesday - 16 (4,12) PM Track workout at BCC: 3 by 2 miles with 400 jog for rest. Very hot and humid. Legs were pretty zapped. My workout was good for 5/6ths of the way, but came undone in the last mile of the last rep. 10:30, 10:19, 10:39 ... This is a lesson in not getting greedy. 10:30s across the board would have been fine.
Thursday - 15 (10,5) In the afternoon, Emily rode a bike beside me as I ran a loop through SE. We got crushed by a rainstorm. Pretty funny.
Friday - 17 (12,5)
Saturday - 22 ... We started from the store in Georgetown and kept it on the towpath: 5 out, 5 back, repeat. Wiggy and I added two more. We started really easy and gradually picked up through the first half: 68-ish. Wiggy and I did the second half in 56-high. This was a good workout, but we got out a bit fast for the second 10; I need to work on that.
Sunday - 13
Total - 115 ... Highest week ever.

No comments: