Thursday, July 22, 2010

Training July 19-25


Floyd Fest photo by friend and pro photog Susan Pleiman. Levon Helm: one of the all-time greats.
Monday - 17 (7,10)

Tuesday - 16 (10,6)

Wednesday - 14 ... No time in AM. PM: Met up with a small group at BCC for a tempo on CCT and some 150s on the track. We probably could have organized this better, as we went five miles out, all downhill, from miles 3 to 7.5 on the trail (~half mile from BCC parking lot to trail) and ran at marathon effort coming back -- you guessed it -- all uphill. Another big surprise was that it was really hot and humid -- by the end, my flats weighed about 10 pounds. I wanted to stay completely under control -- no straining, no hard breathing -- and I think I achieved that. I took splits every half mile and each was between 2:50 and 3 minutes, which I think is OK for this particular stretch. The time does not really matter for this; it's the work you put in. The long uphill grind made my legs feel very heavy and uncomfortable; that said, I like that I was still able to run an even pace. After exiting the trail, and heading back to BCC, I continued to 30 minutes to make sure I got in 5. After jogging around the track for awhile, we did 8 times 150 on, off then finished with two miles of barefoot running on the infield.
Thursday - 13 ... Ran with Dave Fontaine. Usual post-workout soreness, but I felt OK after an hour and extended it, as a work assignment prevented a double.
Friday - 14 ... Felt more sluggish than I did on Thursday. I got home late from work and did not get enough sleep. Six hours won't cut it right now. On top of that, my weekend plan involved going to Floyd, Va., to a music festival, Floyd Fest, for a good friend's 30th birthday. Packed the car and left.
Saturday - So there I was in Floyd, which just happened to be tucked off the Blue Ridge Parkway, which just might very well be the most beautiful road -- granted, I just visited Colorado -- I have ever seen. I ran out and back on it, passing marvelous overlooks, enjoying the cooler weather, running up huge hills, soaking it all in ... 12 ... Seeing the Levon Helm Band this evening was no doubt one of the musical highlights of my life. I've been an admirer of Levon for a long, long time.
Sunday - Drove back to D.C. in the morning, took a long nap in the afternoon (slept right through a big storm), went grocery shopping and then trained at night after the heat (temps in D.C. topped 100) had somewhat subsided. Got in a solid 20.
Total - 106

No comments: