Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Training June 21 - 27

Monday - 16 (5, 11 with Jake Klim)

Tuesday - 15 (8, 7 at gym)

Wednesday - 14.5 (4, 10.5) ... Workout on CCT with GRC: We did 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile with about a half mile for rest. It was 100 degrees. We were thinking marathonish pace, but in conditions like this, during a big week in training, no pace is particularly easy. For the 3, I went 5:30, 5:26, ?, as I didn't see the last mark and ran by it -- stopped when I looked at my watch and saw more than 6 minutes. Turned around, jogged. The first rep was mostly downhill; for the second, we turned around and had a tough climb. Jake and I ran an even 11 minutes, with Chris Bain right behind us. Finished in 5:18, perhaps a second behind Klim. That rep was on a slight uphill grade as well.

Thursday - 14.5 (5, 9.5, gym) Let's face it: Training on Thursday never feels very good. These runs are very easy.

Friday - 12 with 5 strides on grass. Weather was cooler; that helped. Tried to save something for the 20-mile "Duel Ferries" workout tomorrow morning with GRC.

Saturday - 20 ... "Duel Ferries" is a classic GRC workout. We meet at Edward's Ferry, Lock 25 and Mile 30 along the C&O Canal Towpath.
Our loop consists of two 10.1 mile loops, and while the run has been completed at a casual pace, usually we make it into something of a workout. The collective mindset, I think, is that we might as well: For one, it takes everyone about an hour to get there. Also, it's entirely natural surface -- beginning with 4 to 5 miles of packed dirt which take us to the entrance for White's Ferry, where we sort of turn around onto a dirt-rock road which segues into the toughest portion: a .9 mile stretch (btw miles 6 and 7) with the sun beating down and endless view of fields on both sides. We call this stretch "Kansas."
We had a pack of 14, half of which were going the full 20. We kept everyone together through the first loop in 66 minutes and change; then, as was the plan, we picked it up. Karl Dusen, Joe Wiegner and I took it out a bit too hard. I think we realized that, too, after about 20 minutes, when we stopped at a water pump and regrouped with everyone else. As we approached Kansas, though, Jake Klim took charge and Wiggy followed suit. Karl and I hung back a bit. Then Karl gapped me. Then Wiggy gapped Jake. Then Chris Sloane caught me. There was a line of us, all of us Chicago bound, with 50 to 100 meters of separation ... and what a sight it was as we crossed through Kansas: "This is awesome," I thought. "This is why you join a team."
My stomach hurt a lot. My right calf and achilles was pretty tight. The last 20 minutes or so, though, I was able to catch a second wind and finish the loop in less than 60 minutes, for about a 5:50 avg. and a rough total of 2:05 low.
The "course record" was 2:07. Today, we put seven guys under that mark.
This was very good training.

Sunday - 10 After a long night of sleep, took it very easy this morning. My right calf is still a bit banged up and I appear to be losing a toenail on my left foot. My energy level, however, was actually pretty good.

Total - 102 ... Comments: None at the moment. Still ruminating.

3 comments:

rebecca hallin said...

I just came across your blog WOW you have done great with your running. us little runners like me look up to people like you. nice work!

Dickson Mercer said...

Hey there! Thanks for dropping in. The heat's been rough lately, as I'm sure you've found in your own training. Keep it up!

greydawn said...

OK I am also in awe of your fast running~thanks for blogging so people like me understand how fast runners train and think!