Sunday, April 4, 2010

Training to train to train

I've missed a couple days during the past two weeks due to a busy schedule and a wicked cold, but I've reached the point neuromuscularly where I am able to really train so I can REALLY train for the Chicago Marathon. The race is Oct. 11 and GRC is sending a sizeable brigade (aka a bunch of weirdos who do lots of running). I am working with my coach to develop a 20-week plan that might serve as a blueprint for us. As Klim and I were discussing yesterday while making a loop through Roosevelt Island, the big advantage we will all have is group tempos and long runs. As soon as a rough training draft has been developed, I will pass it on to Klim et al and more folks for extra fine tuning. Of course, it will naturally be revised as we go along, maybe even torched.

I did 6 times 3 minutes on, 1 minute off with Patrick Murphy in the field behind the Tidal Basin on Thursday. Yesterday, I got in 1:45 (15) with a group, and I'm about to sneak out for a moderate 10-12. It's a shame not to race this spring -- and I very much look forward to seeing my teammates toe the line at the Cherry Blossom 10-miler -- but with running you have to try to take everything in stride, focus on the advantages and blot out the negatives.

Oct. 11 - 20 weeks = May 24. I will probably sneak in a 5K the first weekend in May and an 8K the weekend after that.



No comments: