Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Asbury Park 5k

This was only my second race of the summer, and it was my first time under 16 minutes, as noted in an earlier post, since 2005. 2005, coincidentally, is the year I moved up to the marathon, and thus the year my training changed to emphasize strength and more strength.

But this summer has been about getting back to the basics: running free as opposed to under control and getting some of that anaerobic fitness back. It started at the B.C.C. track on Wednesday nights in early July, as my post-Frederick recovery phase was flowing into a buildup to the buildup. (What a cruel sport!)

At the track I run with guys who are faster and better than me. I run in the back and try not to think. It has been working: Today, for instance, I ran 4:54 (1600), 3:38 (1200) and 2:20 (800) for the first half of the workout and only a bit slower in the second half, in which the reps were the same as in the first.

5k on the roads is a tough, tough race, and I went into the race this week not expecting to feel comfortable for even a step. I did not feel optimal warming up; I did not worry about it, either. It was a loop course and thus the heavy Jersey shore winds were a help on one side and quite the obstacle on the other.

This is Asbury Park. This is the home of Springsteen and the Stone Pony, where I would say I had some of my most formative music experiences.

This was my Dad's second race 28 years ago. Bill Rodgers won. Afterward there was a question and answer session with him and George Sheehan. There was no chairs. They sat on the floor in a big circle. Glory days.

Dad and I balance each other. When he says we should drive down to the race the night before because the morning registration will take forever, I tell him it will take less than a minute and thus it is not worth the extra drive. And I am right. When he says, in the morning, hey, boy, it is time to go, we are going to miss out on prime parking ... he is right.

I passed through the mile in 4:55. We made a U-turn and the wind blasted us. We briefly ran in a line of three. There were three ahead. Maybe, then, I backed off a little when I should have pressed, because they pulled ahead, and they stayed just barely ahead of me the rest of the way. Two miles in 10:07. Not bad; remember the wind.

The last mile I am racing. There are three within 10 seconds. But I can't gain any ground. We hit the boardwalk and the wind is howling and the finish line looks like it's a mile away and my watch says 14:40. Shit! I put my head down, swing my arms. I am sooo slloooowww. But, hey, I snuck under 16. 15:57 chip time.

For now, that's all that really matters.

I am officially registered for the Philadelphia Distance Run and the Philadelphia Marathon.

An Asbury Park Press article and results are here: http://www.jsrc.org/.

Nick Pellegrino, a great New Jersey runner, won the race in 15:07.

No comments: