Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Six Day Week

We got our biggest (and first real) snowstorm on Monday. It seemed wise to rush into work before the roads got worse, and in Waldorf I found that my gym was closed. It was a forced zero, but I managed to get pretty close to the 100 MPW mileage goal in six days, hunkering down on 16 per day, which was made easier by temps rising up near 70 towards the end of the week.

Today I got in a very solid 22, 2:30. I ran with Patrick Reaves from the D.C./Maryland line and through Rock Creek Park, and we managed to settle into a nice rhythm. On Friday I did a classic Coach Lippin marathon workout: A continuous 18-mile run beginning with 40 minutes steady into 20 minutes at tempo pace followed by 40-50 minutes steady followed by 3 times 6 minutes on, 1 off minute off ... then an easy run home. I suppose you could assign an effort to the 6 minute reps -- 5k pace or interval pace -- but it was really just whatever-you-have pace. Marathon training, in a sense, is all about running on tired legs, and the essential aim of this workout is to reach a point where you wonder, "How the hell am I going to run the last five miles to the house?" ... This is when you start to run as hard as you possibly can.

Monday - Zero, zilch, nada
Tuesday - AM 6 PM 10
Wednesday - AM 10 PM 4
Thursday - AM 12 PM 4
Friday - 18 - workout
S - 12
S - 22
Total - 98

No comments: