Saturday, June 21, 2008

Some thoughts on this week

I
On Wednesday night I saw a documentary about the musician Arthur Russell at the Silverdocs film festival in Silver Spring. Russell died of AIDS in 1994, but in the last five or so years the disco era music he created has been rediscovered and widely lauded. Like Nick Drake, Russell's music has a very modern feel despite the fact that it was created decades ago.


Russell, who grew up in the 1950s Midwest, was a shy, introverted teenager. Apparently he started reading Timothy Leary and ran off to San Francisco. But he spent most of his life in New York City, in the same apartment building as Allen Ginsburg. He is known primarily as a cellist -- and he often backed Ginsburg during his poetry readings -- but he also developed a unique folk-driven guitar style. He was a weird guy. Severe acne in his teen left him with a ruddy, pockmarked face. And he was a consummate artist, someone who wanted to bridge art with pop. His sensibilities were esoteric and yet he had an obsession with crafting a pop hit that would be heard by millions, even though the pop process befuddled him.


For me, watching documentaries about people like Russell is a kind of medicine. For a day or two it wipes away doubt about certain life choices; it allows me to embrace an artistic spirit.


When I worked out this week, I tried to sharpen my focus. For that hour I wanted to be a runner and nothing else. I listened to The Rolling Stones while I warmed up and tried to ready myself to hurt a bit.


II
What does it mean to be "fit"?


This expression distance runners use drives Emily a bit crazy: Well, you're a distance runner who runs 10 miles a day; of course you're fit.


But to be "fit" within the context of a distance running refers to a higher state: you're rolling through the recovery runs, the times in your workouts start to drop.


The pursuit of fitness can be a mysterious thing: There are somewhat scientific indicators like times in workouts, but there is another element as well, something no one has every been able to explain in entirely concrete terms -- the reason so many coaches continue to develop their own formulas of success rather than just give their athletes a book by Arthur Lydiard. The training plans my coach Todd Lippin puts together, for instance, apparently combine Lydiard, Jack Daniels (although I personally prefer Kentucky Gentlemen) Pete Pfitzinger and a "little bit of Lippin."


On Thursday I averaged 70 seconds for 12 by 400 with a 200 jog between each. On Saturday I ran my best tempo yet. For me, these workouts are pretty good, and it would seem that I am getting pretty "fit."


Monday - AM 6 PM 6
Tuesday - 8
Wednesday - 12
Thursday - 8 - 12 by 400 with 200 jog - 72, 71, 72, 71, 71, 71, 70, 70, 71, 70, 71, 69
Friday - 12
Saturday - 10 - 5-mile tempo: 5:49, 5:50, 5:45, 5:38, 5:31. Fastest yet.
Sunday - 15


Total - 77

No comments: