Sunday, February 16, 2014

Boston Training Week #7

Feb. 10 - 16

M - AM 45 PM gym

T - AM 65 PM gym

W - AM 70 PM gym

Th - Snow. Took it as a sign to rest my foot, which wasn't feeling great.

F - 5 on treadmill. Foot felt a lot better.

S - 16 with 10-mile tempo: For the tempo, I ran with Patrick, Evan, and Matty from The Line on Beach to Pierce Mills gates and back, then added on about 1.4. Good venue for this: not too hard, not too easy, and tougher - climbing a bit - coming back, with a big hill around 8. It was great to be back with my training partners; Evan and Patrick helped pull me through the last four miles. Good training partners are everything. It was cold and snowing, so the road was slick. I did this in trainers.


5:54, 40, 46, 46, 46, 6:00, 5:51, 6:05, 6:03, 6:04. I felt smooth early and had to really work late. Coming off eight missed days, I will take it and am glad I was able to get it done. Iced afterward and was very pleased to not feel any soreness or inflammation as the day went on - with the tendon, that is.

Sun - 12 in 84 minutes with Charlie on the roads near Westmoreland State Park in Montrose, VA. Out here with friends renting a couple cabins. I was tired today from the workout but my foot felt good!


This was still a very low mileage week but I was able to execute the plan, which was to be really careful working back into training but also get back in the flow by doing the week's main workout. (Originally I planned to do a little track work on Wednesday, but skipped that.) Tuesday and Wednesday, I was pretty frustrated by how the tendon was feeling; the soreness seemed to be creeping back. The day off and an easy Friday seemed to help a lot.

Saturday and Sunday helped flip the switch mentally: feeling much more positive. The week coming up was originally designed as a down week, and it looks right to me for this stage of the game. Now, I hope, I can get back on schedule and put in 5-6 solid weeks. Sunday I have the RRCA 10 miler and I will look to run the first half at MP and see if I can pick it up. Also, I saw Dr. Pribut again on Friday and he gave me some strengthening exercises to start doing. Evan had some good ideas there as well. 

1 comment:

Jake Marren said...

Good Luck and the MD 10 miler. It is a hard course but my PR is from that race, good competition.