Wednesday, May 20, 2015

43 Laps + Father's Day 8k

In my last post I mentioned my decision to run Marine Corps Marathon in support of the Friends4Michael Foundation and shared my plan to run D.C. Road Runners One-Hour Track Run as a fundraiser. I stole this idea from my dad; 20-some years ago I watched him run 10+ miles on the Monmouth University track to raise money for the Special Olympics.

Prior to last night I found out the event record was 17,700 meters, roughly 44.25 laps. I came up a little short of that last night; the results indicate I covered 43 laps (17,217 meters). But I was pleased with the effort on a hot night (I am feeling that marathon strength coming back!), and am really grateful to my GRC teammates who pitched in money per lap -- especially Charlie and Tex, who also helped pace me.

Looks like these 43 laps will raise more than $800 -- on top of what has already been raised -- for Friends4Michael. You can still donate here.

















The other thing is ...

The GRC's Father's Day 8k is coming up - it's on June 21 at 6:30 p.m. This is a really fun, low-key race, and I always enjoy being on the other side of things, helping to put a race on. This race benefits our club, and it's always fun to see families incorporating this race into their day. There's a Facebook page, too.



  

No comments: