Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dress Rehearsal

Three miles at marathon pace. 17:00. 5:42, 5:40, 5:37. Very chill -- thankfully -- as designed. Legs are not totally fresh but feel OK -- yup. Was just starting to get warmed up.

Last week:
M - 6
T - 10
W - 6
T - 3 by 1 mile at 5k pace with 400 jog - 5:07, 5:07, 5:08 - 8
F - 7
S - 9
S - 13
Total - 60

After Sunday I went into glycogen depletion mode and continued as such until after my dress rehearsal this morning. Back on the carbs, and it feels nice. It's the traditional carbo-load, kind of old-school, but I'm an old-school runner at heart.
This week:
M - 6
T - AM 7 PM 3
W - Dress rehearsal - 9

4 comments:

Billy said...

Dickson,

Can you explain your "glycogen depletion" phase and the reasoning for doing it? Thanks,

Billy

PS - Good luck this weekend!

NIGER1.COM said...

HELLO A NIGERIEN IS ENCOURAGING YOU READ NIGER NEWS ON WWW.NIGER1.COM

DM said...

7 days out, on Sunday, I do a 13- miler and eat very few carbs until after my dress rehearsal (3 miles at marathon pace) on Wednesday. After the dress rehearsal I then up my carb intake significantly. The idea, essentially, is that you trick your body to store more glycogen. It's a bit old-school and plenty of theories have come out against it, but I believe it works, so I have stuck with it.

I found this article which explains a little bit of the history, and I had never read any of the new research towards the end of this: http://www.active.com/story.cfm?STORY_ID=12998&NUM=0&CATEGORY=Running&CHECKSSO=0

Anonymous said...

Jeez...I seen this dude do 12oz glycogen curls many times. I think thats what maker him so damn strong. Glycogen, that is.

word verifacation = prizat, should be prizatt